Quantcast

PCL moves to GIT

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

PCL moves to GIT

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
Hi,

we have finally started to convert our PCL repository to GIT. The new
repository will be:

https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl

We are planning to get make the switch from the old repo on:

2031-03-09

FAQ:

I have commit access to the old repo, what to do:
  If you have changes in your local branch you want to commit, do so
  before Saturday or format them as patches to import them into the new
  repo.

  Starting with the new repo, we will move to git style pull requests as
  well [1]. This means, that you can't any longer commit to the main
  repo, but you can commit whatever you want and once you are satisfied,
  we can integrate it.

I would like to continue using svn:
  svn checkout https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl

What happend to the svn revision numbers:
  GIT doesn't number commits but uses fingerprints for that. If you need
  to find a revision from the old svn, this should work:

  git log --grep git-svn-id.*@87 (for revision 87)

What changed inside the repo:
  We took the opportunity to fix some flaws inside the repo. Exactly we
  did the following:
  - Convert all commits to Unix file ending.
  - Remove empty commits.
  - Change svn usernames to real names.

Feel free to ask more questions :)

Cheers Jochen

[1] https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Geoffrey Biggs
On 08/03/13 04:10, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have finally started to convert our PCL repository to GIT. The new
> repository will be:
>
> https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl
>
> We are planning to get make the switch from the old repo on:
>
> 2031-03-09

Why are we waiting 18 years? :)

Geoff
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

sdmiller
These things take time, Geoff.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Geoffrey Biggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/03/13 04:10, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
Hi,

we have finally started to convert our PCL repository to GIT. The new
repository will be:

https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl

We are planning to get make the switch from the old repo on:

2031-03-09

Why are we waiting 18 years? :)

Geoff

_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org


_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Julius Kammerl
In reply to this post by Jochen Sprickerhof
Thanks! Great job, Jochen!

Are you planning to migrate the current tags and branches as well?

On 03/07/2013 11:10 AM, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have finally started to convert our PCL repository to GIT. The new
> repository will be:
>
> https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl
>
> We are planning to get make the switch from the old repo on:
>
> 2031-03-09
>
> FAQ:
>
> I have commit access to the old repo, what to do:
>    If you have changes in your local branch you want to commit, do so
>    before Saturday or format them as patches to import them into the new
>    repo.
>
>    Starting with the new repo, we will move to git style pull requests as
>    well [1]. This means, that you can't any longer commit to the main
>    repo, but you can commit whatever you want and once you are satisfied,
>    we can integrate it.
>
> I would like to continue using svn:
>    svn checkout https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl
>
> What happend to the svn revision numbers:
>    GIT doesn't number commits but uses fingerprints for that. If you need
>    to find a revision from the old svn, this should work:
>
>    git log --grep git-svn-id.*@87 (for revision 87)
>
> What changed inside the repo:
>    We took the opportunity to fix some flaws inside the repo. Exactly we
>    did the following:
>    - Convert all commits to Unix file ending.
>    - Remove empty commits.
>    - Change svn usernames to real names.
>
> Feel free to ask more questions :)
>
> Cheers Jochen
>
> [1] https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
> _______________________________________________
> PCL-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
> http://pointclouds.org

_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
* Julius Kammerl <[hidden email]> [2013-03-07 13:59]:
> Thanks! Great job, Jochen!
>
> Are you planning to migrate the current tags and branches as well?

Oups, didn't push them, tags should be there now :). I wouldn't push
branches into the master repository.

Cheers Jochen

P.S.: It wont take 18 years to get done ;)
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Pat Marion
This is great!  Good job guys.

Maybe I missed this in a previous thread, but have you thought about rules for accepting new commits onto the master branch?  Will fast-forward commits be pushed onto master, or only actual merges?  Will there be a master and a next branch?  For those who haven't read it, here's a good article on git branch workflow: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Pat

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Jochen Sprickerhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Julius Kammerl <[hidden email]> [2013-03-07 13:59]:
> Thanks! Great job, Jochen!
>
> Are you planning to migrate the current tags and branches as well?

Oups, didn't push them, tags should be there now :). I wouldn't push
branches into the master repository.

Cheers Jochen

P.S.: It wont take 18 years to get done ;)
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org


_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Geoffrey Biggs
I second Pat's link to that article. I've been using that workflow for a year and a half now, and have found it to be very easy to manage.

Geoff


On 8 March 2013 12:49, Pat Marion <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is great!  Good job guys.

Maybe I missed this in a previous thread, but have you thought about rules for accepting new commits onto the master branch?  Will fast-forward commits be pushed onto master, or only actual merges?  Will there be a master and a next branch?  For those who haven't read it, here's a good article on git branch workflow: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Pat

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Jochen Sprickerhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Julius Kammerl <[hidden email]> [2013-03-07 13:59]:
> Thanks! Great job, Jochen!
>
> Are you planning to migrate the current tags and branches as well?

Oups, didn't push them, tags should be there now :). I wouldn't push
branches into the master repository.

Cheers Jochen

P.S.: It wont take 18 years to get done ;)
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org


_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org


_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pat Marion
* Pat Marion <[hidden email]> [2013-03-08 13:49]:
> Maybe I missed this in a previous thread, but have you thought about rules
> for accepting new commits onto the master branch?  Will fast-forward
> commits be pushed onto master, or only actual merges?  Will there be a
> master and a next branch?  For those who haven't read it, here's a good
> article on git branch workflow:
> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

Good point. Initially I though about doing this for PCL2 to make the
learning curve not to big. But if we all agree, we can reset master to
pcl-1.6.1 and push trunk to develop.

Cheers Jochen
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Aurel W.
I hope the move to git and a new branching scheme results in a boost
to development activity, which seemed a little bit low lately. I also
see the many positive aspects about what github itself does, tho
basically it is still a commercial project host. For a project as big
as pcl, with already has a lot of existing infrastructure (as in issue
tracker, wiki, docs, build server,..) are there any key benefits left
to move to github compared to just setting up a git repository on
existing infrastructure?

aurel

On 8 March 2013 14:08, Jochen Sprickerhof <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Pat Marion <[hidden email]> [2013-03-08 13:49]:
>> Maybe I missed this in a previous thread, but have you thought about rules
>> for accepting new commits onto the master branch?  Will fast-forward
>> commits be pushed onto master, or only actual merges?  Will there be a
>> master and a next branch?  For those who haven't read it, here's a good
>> article on git branch workflow:
>> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
> Good point. Initially I though about doing this for PCL2 to make the
> learning curve not to big. But if we all agree, we can reset master to
> pcl-1.6.1 and push trunk to develop.
>
> Cheers Jochen
> _______________________________________________
> PCL-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
> http://pointclouds.org
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
* Aurel W. <[hidden email]> [2013-03-08 14:18]:
> I hope the move to git and a new branching scheme results in a boost
> to development activity, which seemed a little bit low lately. I also
> see the many positive aspects about what github itself does, tho
> basically it is still a commercial project host. For a project as big
> as pcl, with already has a lot of existing infrastructure (as in issue
> tracker, wiki, docs, build server,..) are there any key benefits left
> to move to github compared to just setting up a git repository on
> existing infrastructure?

Part of the problem was that PCL servers are located in California and
we had speed problems when accessing them from Europe. The other point
is, that we agreed on doing pull requests, so we can move to a Gerrit
like system later. And with git it should be easy to set up our own
system like Gitorious later on. But PCL is about point clouds, not about
maintaining servers, so relying on others for this will free up
resources for coding ;).

Cheers Jochen
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Stephen D. Fox
> But PCL is about point clouds, not about
> maintaining servers, so relying on others for this will free up
> resources for coding ;).

Thanks, Jochen! Great work!

--
Best regards,

Stephen Fox
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

nizar sallem-3
Thanks jochen great job I can now synch my local git with the remote source :)

Still I also want to bring the attention on the push policy and the branching we are going to adopt. I agree on Pat suggestion on that but we need to state it clearly somewhere (docs and wiki sound perfect for me).

Cheers,
--
Nizar

On Mar 8, 2013, at 14:40, "Stephen D. Fox" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> But PCL is about point clouds, not about
>> maintaining servers, so relying on others for this will free up
>> resources for coding ;).
>
> Thanks, Jochen! Great work!
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Stephen Fox
> _______________________________________________
> PCL-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
> http://pointclouds.org
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Julius Kammerl-2
In reply to this post by Jochen Sprickerhof
Hi Jochen,

ich bin gerade dabei die Basis- und Containerklassen des Octrees zu
ueberarbeiten... das wird ein groesserer Commit. Soll der nun schon ins
Github-Repo gehen oder noch ins SVN?

Vielen Dank & schoene Gruesse,
Julius
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Julius Kammerl
I accidentally replied to the list :) Sorry for the noise..

Julius

On 03/10/2013 08:20 PM, Julius Kammerl wrote:

> Hi Jochen,
>
> ich bin gerade dabei die Basis- und Containerklassen des Octrees zu
> ueberarbeiten... das wird ein groesserer Commit. Soll der nun schon ins
> Github-Repo gehen oder noch ins SVN?
>
> Vielen Dank & schoene Gruesse,
> Julius
> _______________________________________________
> PCL-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
> http://pointclouds.org
>


_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org

signature.asc (917 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Radu B. Rusu-3
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jochen Sprickerhof
A bit late to the party, but a big "AWESOME JOB" to Jochen for making the transition so smooth.

We will close down the main SVN branch within the next couple of days, so everyone please start checking out the github
PCL repo instead.

As mentioned, other PCL branches from http://svn.pointclouds.org/pcl/branches/ will not be moved/copied in the process.

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://openperception.org

On 03/07/2013 11:10 AM, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have finally started to convert our PCL repository to GIT. The new
> repository will be:
>
> https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl
>
> We are planning to get make the switch from the old repo on:
>
> 2031-03-09
>
> FAQ:
>
> I have commit access to the old repo, what to do:
>    If you have changes in your local branch you want to commit, do so
>    before Saturday or format them as patches to import them into the new
>    repo.
>
>    Starting with the new repo, we will move to git style pull requests as
>    well [1]. This means, that you can't any longer commit to the main
>    repo, but you can commit whatever you want and once you are satisfied,
>    we can integrate it.
>
> I would like to continue using svn:
>    svn checkout https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl
>
> What happend to the svn revision numbers:
>    GIT doesn't number commits but uses fingerprints for that. If you need
>    to find a revision from the old svn, this should work:
>
>    git log --grep git-svn-id.*@87 (for revision 87)
>
> What changed inside the repo:
>    We took the opportunity to fix some flaws inside the repo. Exactly we
>    did the following:
>    - Convert all commits to Unix file ending.
>    - Remove empty commits.
>    - Change svn usernames to real names.
>
> Feel free to ask more questions :)
>
> Cheers Jochen
>
> [1] https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests
> _______________________________________________
> PCL-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
> http://pointclouds.org
>
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: PCL moves to GIT

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
In reply to this post by nizar sallem-3
* Nizar Sallem <[hidden email]> [2013-03-08 21:00]:
> Still I also want to bring the attention on the push policy and the branching we are going to adopt. I agree on Pat suggestion on that but we need to state it clearly somewhere (docs and wiki sound perfect for me).

I think the branching model is great for personal repos and I use a
similar one myself, but I wouldn't use it for the main repo:
- Having feature branches in the main repo would mean that all of us get
  them during a pull and unless we run a prune they will be there
  forever cluttering the namespace.
- Having only taged releases in master makes the branch superfluous.
- Having an extra develop branch means that people cloning the repo get
  to the the master first and wonder where to find the new stuff.
  Combined with the previous pint, I would keep the development stuff in
  master.

My proposal would be to only have master and release branches plus tags
in the main repo, so we can always merge into master and split out a
stable tree for a new release.

Cheers Jochen
_______________________________________________
PCL-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-developers
http://pointclouds.org
Loading...